[Geysers] Both Webcam formats back running again.

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Tue Feb 26 13:44:09 PST 2008

Well, it looks like the NPS has moved the streaming webcam link again, in
the hopes of steering people towards the official viewing portal that
stops after a couple of minutes of idle time.

If you've read the FAQ page, you know that the streaming webcam is
tremendously popular, and the bandwidth required to send it out gets
expensive if a lot of people keep it up on their computer for an extended
period of time.  Chances are the NPS's cost structure is sub-optimal, but
for now it doesn't do anyone any favors if the webmaster has to play a
game of cat-and-mouse every couple of days just to keep the streaming
video project from collapsing under the weight of its own success.

Yes, I know.  I posted the reflector address when it moved a couple of
weeks ago.  It seemed like a public service at the time.  The next time it
moves, I'll consider it a public service to leave well enough alone.

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu