[Geysers] Disturbances

Mike O'Brien obrien at aero.org
Fri Feb 22 13:10:24 PST 2008

Scott Bryan sez:

>       Given that a disturbance involves a greater influx of geothermal =
> fluid from a deeper reservoir AND given that research drilling indicated =
> that acid conditions exist only near the surface, I have to think that =
> acid springs tend toward the alkaline -- but perhaps acid simply becomes =
> less acidic. I would not expect alkaline to become acid.

	Scott is speaking only of a disturbance, of course, but it
may be worth mentioning here that Smokey Sturdevant is fond of
pointing out a spring in the Hundred Springs Plain that, he says,
had a pH of 7 on one day, and a pH of 1 the next day.  The day
he showed it to me, it sure did look like battery acid: particularly
evil-looking and in a thoroughly corroded surrounding.

Mike O'Brien