[Geysers] 12/28 report

Seeyellowstone at aol.com Seeyellowstone at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 06:51:48 PST 2008

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday in the park at Black Sand the small geyser behind Green Spring is
now erupting about twice as high, it's now shooting 3 to almost 4 feet  high.
This geyser is cyclical as it was now erupting as I was heading  back.  We
also had the last couple of bursts of Fountain with it quitting  at 13:23, I
fist saw it ie @ 13:17.  One of these days I may get up  there for more than a
few seconds of the eruption.

In the Mammoth area, there is a new spring in the ditch of the Grand Loop
road, just below Palette's parking lot.  This spring is causing the  southbound
lane of the GLR to sink in.  Keith (LE, North District) had  told me the water
temp was 150 degrees.  This spring formed about 1 month  ago.

Also I had meant to pass this on sooner.  We have gotten the road
construction list for the upcoming summer, It looks like a fun one:

Norris to Madison- expect 30 minute delay beginning April 17th.   Beginning
May 26th, to August 16th there will be night closures between 10  pm and 8 am.
On August 17th the road will close for the  season.   In 2010, the road will
once again have night closures.

East Entrance (for Kitt), 30 minute delays, no closures

Northeast Entrance Road: 30 minute delays between the Northeast Entrance  and
Cooke City,  There will also be 30 minute delay between the Long Lake  gate
and the Montana/ Wyoming state line (mp 32.5 to 43.1) on top of  the Beartooth
Pass.

U.S. 191 between West Yellowstone and Bozeman will remain closed to  thru
truck traffic at least through the end of 2009.  Expect 20 minute  delays, mainly
at night during the summer of 2009.  Trucks are not allowed  this winter and
there are no delays, just 1 detour around the Swan Creek  bridge.

Hopefully I will get to see more geysers tomorrow when I'm in.

Jim
YTG
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.