[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 12/26/2008

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 13:51:37 PST 2008

I saw Uncertain Geyser ie at 1237, which was cool.  I can't remember how long it has been since I'd seen Uncertain in winter.

Old Tardy was active.  I saw it 1239 ie, and again at 1302.

Penta had erupted since the big storm yesterday.

I watched a couple of Turban eruptions, but the water in Grand was pretty low, so I didn't stick around.

On my way towards the hill, I paused and looked back and caught Castle 1309 ie.  I waited near North Goggle to see it switch into steam phase at 1325.  Meanwhile, I saw Little Cub at 1319.

There were two bison near the boardwalk, up where the trail splits off to go to Solitary Geyser, so I didn't check on Aurum.

There are a couple of small things on the hill that I saw erupting, that I can't recall seeing before.  About 5 feet north of the boardwalk, between the Dwarf group and Marmot Cave, there is a slit 1" x 4" which had water erupting about ten inches.  Also, about 20' west of Plume there are two vents that I've seen erupt to about 8".

Beehive wasn't splashing, so probably won't erupt in daylight today.

I saw Daisy at 1332ie as a cloud from a distance.

Oh, news about the construction of the new Visitor Education Center.  There is propane leaking from where the tanks for the heating of the VEC are buried behind the post office.   I know there were also issues this fall, with the line that they dug a trench for across the parking lot.

Karen Low
(Windchill really limits how much time I'm willing to spend outside!)