[Geysers] Mountain Bikes on Nat'l Park trails

Jack Ashe jack.ashe at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 17:36:23 PST 2008

If I remember correctly, bikes are allowed on many trails in Waterton Park. I have often wished that many of the service roads and trails were open to bikes in Yellowstone.  I think a trial is worth the effort. My impression is that horses cause more problems with trails, noxious weeds and destruction to meadows than bikes. I suspect that if horses had not been "grandfathered in" and someone proposed bringing in horses, there would be objections.  Certainly the grizzly bear issue is a concern and that may be the biggest problem. Bikes move much faster than people or horses and can surprise bears that would ordinarily be out of the way by the time hikers or equestrians reached a given spot. Rangers on mountain bikes might be a good thing for  improving patrols in the backcountry.
My biggest problem is that it was proposed by the Bush Administration, largely at behest of W. and his use of mountain bikes. Another Republican act of self interest.

Jack