[Geysers] UGB north map

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie.ynp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 10:40:22 PST 2008

Carolyn et al.,
  I do not think that the only question is (or at least should be) whether "old, inactive feature names should be retained on this map." I think another question should be whether current feature names that are not officially accepted names should be included on the map. Whether they are appropriate and should be included is another issue, but the inclusion of a not-yet-accepted name can move an inappropriate name along in the parlance to where it then gets accepted, and this is not necessarily the best way to do it. I would say that, for an NPS publication, only including officially accepted place names should be the rule. Let other place names be put through the correct protocol to either have them accepted (and they can then be added to future printings), or rejected (in which case they should properly have been left off). I realize that while pushing a name through the U. S. Board on Geographic Names is a more difficult protocol than trying to print a name in enough places so the USBGN will then have a much more difficult time rejecting it, the former seems to me the better way, and often the better way involves more work. Just one of the rabble,
Leslie Quinn