[Geysers] Norris report Thursday August 28

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 09:37:18 PDT 2008

Given wife plans in town for the afternoon and the Nez Perce picnic this
evening, I only went to Norris and Artists Paint Pots for quick visits this
morning.

The only geyser of significant size that was seen (other than Steamboat
minors) was Constant, which erupted one time in 40 minutes. Fireball was having
weak bursts to a foot or so. At Ledge, what I presume is the vent that erupted to
40 feet or so on 8/16 and 8/18 was acting as an intermittent steam vent.
Guardian was loud and constant. Valentine emitted only a bit of gentle steam.

Something out on the flats toward Blue was playing constantly to about 6 feet
and near it was another that was intermittent to 3-4 feet. Toward Porcelain
Terrace almost everything is a loud steam vent; water was visible deep within
Incline.

Forgotten Fumarole was rather quietly wafting steam with no evidence of any
periodicity or liquid in the 20 minutes I watched it.

Monarch appears to be active in some fashion, but it was below overflow for
my visit.

Fearless had an actual eruption! Yes, duration about 30 seconds with bursts
about 2 feet high.

Veteran was steadily bursting out of the vent with nothing major.
Interestingly, the vent/crater to its east ("Veteran's Annex") was bursting out of its
vent.

Vixen was about the quietest thing at Norris, barely steaming in 35 degree
air.

Orby was active. Sone of Green Dragon was jetting muddy water at a westward
angle to perhaps 6 feet high. Yellow Funnel was about half full of light-brown
water that was bursting to 4 feet or so.

Echinus was overflowing heavily but without any (really, no visible) bubbling.

Steamboat was having fairly strong jetting, enough to produce a good stream
of water to the bottom of the hill, but nothing was concerted.

At Artist's Paint Pots, the new trail work is still underway and all of the
eastern half of the area is closed. Meaning I don't know what Flash and Blood
and GIB-1 were doing. And the mud pots weren't worth the hike up the hill.

deal here.