[Geysers] More Giant report August 26

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 13:36:53 PDT 2008

OK, so the news about Giant has already been posted but here's a bit more. I
was standing in front of the Lower Store, out by the road, when I saw the
steam cloud go up. At first I thought Grand but almost instantly realized the
angle was wrong. The time WAS 0704 -- there was a strong wind, so it might have
taken a bit of time before the steam was visible on the Webcam. On my bike, I
was in direct sight on the paved trail by 0710 and, by running, in the cage at
0712.

Brian Roskuski was returning from F&M and was somewhere near Grotto (a few
hours into marathon, by the way) when his thought was: "That's a big Bijou."
Then he realized and made the radio call.

Even with the wind, I guess the height on my arrival at 150 feet. But here
is, I think, a highly important point: at no time did I or Brian (or any others
later) see anything (ANYthing) other than gentle steam from Bijou or Catfish
during the eruption. This was a South Function eruption if there ever was one.
Also, the duration was "only" 69 minutes.

We will, of course, never know if there was a hot period or not, but I
personally suspect not. For one thing, there was a jogger who saw the eruption from
the bike path; he said that not more than a "minute or two" before then he
passed Giant on the boardwalk and saw "nothing except that over there" ("that"
being Bijou). So, I think the trigger likely was massive surging in Giant
after/during an "attempted hot period" -- the sort of event that happened yesterday
morning. Note, too, that there apparently was one (two?) observed Mastiff
bathtub later yesterday.

Well, fun for sure. Get right down to it, that was about all I saw today, as
I spent most of the rest of my time in the Lower Basin where I managed to miss
just about everything (except Labial, 0619).

deal here.