[Geysers] Geyser report, Aug 22-25

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:17:20 PDT 2008

This report covers a few notes from August 22-25, 2008.

Upper
 Basin

I managed to catch a Dome initial at 2024ns on 8/25.  I don’t know how long it’s been since Dome’s
last activity.

Beehive erupted at 0739 on 8/25, Indicator at 0724.

Depression was seen at 2028ie on 8/23.

Aurum was reported on 8/25 at 0825, 1305, and 1634.  No rain, but pretty short intervals.

Grand apparently had its longest interval of the season on
the morning of 8/24 (sorry, I never got the overnight electronic time).  Then it erupted 6h28m later for one of the
shorter intervals it’s had recently.

Oblong is apparently happy that Julie is back, because its
intervals have been fairly consistent at 4.5-6 hours since her return.

I was going to write some things about changes at Giant, but
apparently Scott already reported on them—and now Giant has erupted.  I was awakened by the word “GIANT!!!!” being
screamed into the radio; Brian Roskuski (sp?) was between Fan & Mortar and Grotto
when he saw a lot of steam and called the start.  Most people made it to Giant within 10-15
minutes.  It was weird to get the fishy
smell with the eruption—there had been algae growing around India and in
the runoff channel.  The weather was not
very nice—low 50s with high winds and clouds.
But we’ll take Giant however we can get it!

I haven’t looked at the electronic data so I don’t want to
say a lot about Grotto, but things seem more “normal” there—Grotto Fountain has
been seen with Grotto starts and marathons seem to be happening a bit more
frequently.

Details from the 8/24 email will be in another email.

Lower
 Basin

I’m not sure when it reactivated, but Gemini was seen
several times on 8/25.

Things seem to be continuing as normal at Fountain; perhaps
due to wind, afternoon intervals on 8/24 and 8/25 were nearly 7 hours.

There is FINALLY something to report on in the Kaleidoscope
Group.  After I had observed nothing
except for Honey’s Vent, New Thing Far Left, and 2 small vents in Deep Blue,
Dean reported seeing a large vent in Deep Blue on 8/22.  I am fairly certain that this was Vent #13
based on its location in Deep Blue’s pool and the nature of its eruptions.  Either it was active only briefly or it
erupts in series, because I have not seen it since the evening of 8/22.  Also active in the area are 1B and a geyser
to the right of it as viewed from Fountain.

A quick visit to the River Group found Dark Pool to be
inactive.  It’s possible that Brain is
active, but we did not see an eruption.
No other changes were noted.  The
mud pots were sadly mostly dried out.