[Geysers] Norris 8-16-08 Ledge Erupts

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 16 18:15:26 PDT 2008

I was at Norris for most of the day today.

PORCELAIN BASIN:

Biggest news was that Ledge Geyser erupted at 1450VR, first seen by NPS at
1454.  I got there at 1456, and it was erupting about 40 feet high.  I have
attached one of several photos I took of it (sorry for the size of the
picture).  Water phase lasted until 1530, when Ledge just quit.  No steam
phase.  The tallest jets I saw were about 40 feet high, but some visitors
told NPS it was much higher when it first started.

Constant Geyser erupted on intervals of 27 and 41 minutes.  Both eruptions
lasted about 25 seconds and reached about 15 feet.

The heart of Porcelain Basin is mostly dry again.  There was no activity
from Blue Geyser or Iris Pool, and no overflow coming from the flats behind
Constant.

Big Whirligig appears to still be dormant.

Splutter Pot was full and overflowing in May and June, but had dropped and
is acting as a drain once more.

BACK BASIN:

Steamboat Geyser was 44% concerted in the 70 minutes I watched it today.
The south vent was reaching as much as 20 feet in height, and was very wide
at times.  The north vent reached about 15 feet, but was never vertical in
its play.

Echinus is overflowing, but has not erupted recently.

Pear Geyser was below overflow and not erupting when I passed by.

Vixen Geyser, if active, is erupting on long intervals.  Its basis was dry.

One closed interval on Corporal Geyser was timed at 16 minutes.

Veteran Geyser did not erupt in the 45 minutes I spent at it.

Monarch Geyser was below overflow every time I passed by, but it is clearly
continuing to have some sort of periodic overflow and surging cycles.

Palpitator Spring was dry in the morning, but was in eruption in the
afternoon.

Forgotten Fumarole might be close to dormant.  In 35 minutes, I saw one
muddy splash to about a foot.  The crater appeared to be dry.

MK