[Geysers] Geyser report, July 14-30

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 20:49:08 PDT 2008

>Be careful whenever thinking of applying a name to something (as Whittlesey will tell you -- there might already >be a prior name, even if 'forgotten'). I don't know for certain if this is correct or not -- I don't think we'll ever >know -- but my belief is that the 'large, multi-vented spring' described here is the feature that was called Azure >Lake way back in the 1800s. I have that in the new edition of 'the' book. Azure Lake definitely was NOT today's >Azure Spring.

For better or  for worse, the name "Spectrum Spring" has been used by the Cross family and will appear in print in  Transactions 10.  While I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same feature,  just to be clear I have attached two photos of it; one from July 2006 showing its "normal" full appearance, and one from July 2008 showing its craters nearly empty.  Several of the vents have been active as geysers in the past.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com

Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are.  Start here.
http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home_082008