[Geysers] Grotto Fountain is active

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 02:04:21 PDT 2008

I was very glad to hear that Grotto Fountain is still having eruptions.  Perhaps it was too hasty of me to say that it was dormant--but I did check the logbook while I was in the park for any eruptions, and the last eruption prior to my arrival had been reported on July 12, leaving a 3-week period (July 12-Aug 2) when no eruptions of Grotto Fountain were reported, which included my entire trip.  I saw enough Grotto starts with no Grotto Fountain to be confident that it was not just being overlooked.  And like I said, the area around it had gotten pretty dry by the 29th, so there was a time when it wasn't even overflowing.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com

Grotto Fountain was observed on August 2 (lead time on Grotto of 12 minutes), and on August 3 (lead time on Grotto of 2 minutes).  With Fan & Mortar erupting overnight August 3-4, I don't think anyone who has been in the basin on Monday and Tuesday has been paying attention to Grotto or staying down there to see whether Grotto Fountain is starting before Grotto.

Lynn Stephens