[Geysers] Geyser report April 28

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 16:00:24 PDT 2008

THE UGB IS OPEN.

The trails were still closed this morning. Bear Management people arrived
and headed out at about 0900. By 1130 we were hearing that they found no new
carcasses or sign of bear activity and that we'd probably hear something by
1300. At about 1330 we heard that Geyser Hill would open. At about 1350 rangers
drove out to the trail closed sign at Castle. We saw them take down the sign.
We  hustled out, and I caught up with them at the bridge between Crested and
Sawmill. Yes, they said, the WHOLE basin is open (for now, unless/until new
carcasses appear and etc.)

Weather very nice again. Lots of thin clouds through the morning, then  clear
and, as I drove out, 56 degrees according to my car. Supposed to be about  as
warm tomorrow but with a 40% chance of showers, then 20 to 25 degrees colder
on Wednesday with one radio forecast saying 2 to 4 inches of snow. Then some
improvement for next weekend.

Note that (by only a few seconds) I was the first person Summer 2008 in the
Giant Cage. I erased the "Last Eruption" sign, which read March something.

Plume intervals of 51, 53, 51, 51, 49, 50, and 49 minutes.

Beehive -- yes again (but I didn't see it because I was between Oblong and
Giant) -- at 1418. There was no call about the Indicator. Note that when I
first  saw Beehive at about 0740 it appeared dead. There was a bit of splashing by
 maybe 0830, and that grew progressively more frequent and stronger as the
day  went along. I am quite certain that this interval of 27h 31m is a double
interval.

Depression 0847 -- of course it erupted, since I posted that photo and  query
yesterday.

Lots of splashing by Lion, but that's all through the day until I left
(about 1515).

Aurum 1121 and 1456 (definitely none between 0740 and 1121).

Penta 1051ns, after at least 2 hours of Tardy cycle.

Grand 0848 (-2C).

After trail opening, as I walked by Grand at about 1415, West Triplet was  ie
with strangely yellowish-green water -- obviously picking up subsurface
snowmelt from someplace.

Caught Daisy's steam clouds at 0908 and 1320, this interval of 4h 12m
hopefully being double.

Oblong from afar 0831ns, then from near Spa at 1426ns.

Giant's sign log is under the cage, the danger sign log is off the platform
near the separated danger sign itself.

We already knew that Grotto was in marathon (ie 0740, still ie 1515), and
indeed Marathon Pool and Variable Spring were both down, and Spa was splashing
from a low water level.

There is no marker at Fan and Mortar. Norris Pool appears unchanged.

I hurried back and drove straight out, as I truly did have some things to  do
in town. Got 'em done.

listings at AOL Autos.