[Geysers] Geysers and Hot Pools

Mario Durrant yellowstone17 at bridgernet.com
Wed Apr 9 19:10:39 PDT 2008

If you list Beehive among the "predictable" and "frequent" geysers, you should include Artemesia among the geysers as well as the pools-- it is well worth the wait in my opinion and is usually more reliable than Beehive has been.  If you sit up on the roadway above Artemesia you can often feel some impressive thumps as the eruption begins.  The one advantage Beehive has is that you can hang around the UGB with your radio on and wait for someone to call the Indicator, and then run for all you're worth to get there in time, whereas you don't have this luxury with Artemesia.  :)

Also, since you have Taurus spring on your list, if you are in the Shoshone basin don't miss the Western group (Fall Creek group)-- Boiling Cauldron is a truly spectacular spouter and there is a large hot spring there that is easy to find with a bison skeleton in it (the spring is called Great Crater), at least it was still in there summer of 2005.

Also, Jewel geyser in the Biscuit group is very accessible, very frequent, and very fun to watch.

And probably my most favorite easy-to-access pool in the Park is Silex Spring in the Fountain Group.

Good luck,

Mario Durrant