[Geysers] Almost as good as the Hams parking lot

Mike Newcomb mnewcomb at xmission.com
Sat Sep 29 19:50:32 PDT 2007

This new video camera is absolutely wonderful. When I first turned it on, I saw Aurum in eruption around noon on Friday. Today, while checking on the weather in Yellowstone, I saw Sawmill, Tardy, Spasmodic, Sprinkler, Terra Cotta, Chimney, Liberty Pool and Crested Pool steaming, Castle behind the pines, and either Grotto or Oblong behind Grand. Additionally, I saw a lot of ravens and crow cruising through the field of view. At one point, the controller zoomed in to where the Beehive Cone took up half the full screen on a 1160 x 1900 monitor. If Sue or George had been there, I would have known it.

I wonder what the story is behind whoever is controlling this camera. I have noticed that when a geyser erupts, they are on that geyser instantly with no trial and error to get that geyser centered. They must have different features pre-programmed. Anyway, I love it and am curious as to how they are administering it and will it be permanent. It would be awful to lose this capability after once having it. Now we need the sounds and smells and we can get a full fix.

A million thanks to whoever is responsible,

Mike Newcomb