[Geysers] Breif weekend trip 9/21 & 22/07 (Kitt Barger)

Barger bkbarger at bresnan.net
Sun Sep 23 11:13:47 PDT 2007

     Work is keeping me very busy, but the geysers were calling to me and there were gazers to see and visit with.  I left Worland at 3:30 PM on Friday and arrived at 1955 at Old Faithful as the last hints of daylight were disappearing.  As I parked, I noticed Grand starting to erupt.  I called Grand over the radio, but when no one responded, I decided that I had better head straight to Grotto and Giant.  I found Grotto off, but gurgling, so I figured Grotto had at least had a short eruption.  I found 3 diligent souls waiting at Giant and was told that there had been about a 40 minute eruption at Grotto and a hot period.  I decided to wait for the next hot period which occurred  at 2031 with a duration of ~4minutes and only Feather and South West Vents.  I continued to visit and then realized I had used up some of my time to run to the vehicle, so I waited for the next hot period.  S.W.V.'s bubbling, water boiling in Mastiff, Catfish, then Bijou - Bathtub at 2139.  I decided to delay my trek to the car for warm gear and asked when the last Oblong was.  I found out it was at 1904, so I started checking on it.  I was looking at the G.I.P., when I heard Grotto Fountain in eruption at 2228 and then turned around and called Oblong at 2229 ns.  I knew I needed to check on Grotto, but I also wanted to hear the last of Oblong's heart beats.  I listened to Grotto which hadn't started, then hurried to Oblong.  The thumps were low and quiet, then I hurried back to the cage knowing a hot period was about due.  Grotto hadn't started yet, but either just before or during the hot period at 2238 (which was weak and lasted only 2 minutes), Grotto started its eruption and was confirmed i.e. at 2240.  I headed in and noticed Castle was in eruption as I passed the G.I.P. at 2246 i.e.  I headed back to my vehicle to get my winter/night gear on (wool socks, water proof shoes, snow pants, parka, and lots of fleece).  I stopped my bike at Castle and enjoyed the sound as it switched over to steam phase at 2254.  I was able to see a beautiful moonbow in Castle with a sprinkling of stars against a black sky.  Lion's white eruption column appeared on the hillwas at 2257(ns due to how long it takes to unbury my watch) and erupted for ~5+ minutes.  I carefully made my way back to the Suburban listening for the grunts of the bison that were were in the meadow and also somewhere near the Inn.  Old Faithful was near start at 2318.  I ate a quick dinner, grabbed my warm gear (but it was still nice outside, so I didn't put most of it on), then headed carefully back to Giant.  I was passing the G.I.P. whose water levels were coming up fast and realized I had just made it back in time for the next hot period, which started at 2346.  This was a good hot period with Mastiff occasionally to 4 feet, including Feather's Satelite and it lasted for ~8 minutes.  (We looked for Cave, but never saw any water although it was quite steamy.)  We did get a Feather restart, but it was 3 minutes after the hot period ended and too late.  India was completely covered.  We decided that we were safe for at least 5 hours, so we all headed in for some sleep.  Grotto was still erupting.  I noticed Lion in eruption at 0018 as I cautiously made my way back to the vehicle.  A bull bison was grunting and carrying on somewhere between the Inn and the Lower Hams.  I said good night to Eric and Jayson and left the empty Hams parking lot, headed for bed and 2 3/4 hours of needed sleep.
     Good morning Yellowstone!  Well it was Satuday, the 22nd.  OK, so it was almost 4 AM in the morning and pitch black as the moon had gone to bed.  I checked the Log Book at the Visitor Center and heard Old Faithful start to erupt at 0400.  I parked at the Lower Hams, got ready, and was just about to head out, when a bison grunted from an unknown origin.  The sound was somewhere to the right of the pump house, so I decided to walk my bike through the parking lot and over to the gravel path.  After scanning the area with my flashlight for what seemed like an eternity, I cautiously walked my bike over to the path (with many pauses to listen and look).  I made it to the path and after confirming it was clear, I slowly made my way to Grotto at a gentle coast, so that I could inspect each section to either side of the path.  Grotto was still erupting and it looked like Variable Spring was down a little.  I decided to stay out until it was light before taking back some of my gear.  Daisy erupted at 0509 ns.  I was walking over to Oblong when I heard/saw Grand's steam cloud at 0518 i.e. (and it ended at 0524).  Little bushes make wonderful imaginary bison and I spent more time watching these and for other bison as I waited for Oblong.  Finally, Oblong at 0624 with some nice thumping.  Jim joined me over at Grotto as I waited for Riverside.  While we were visiting, I heard Daisy and confirmed it was erupting at 0727 i.e.  Riverside erupted at 0738 and I headed in to get rid of some of my gear and flash lights.  A very large bull was roaming near the gravel path that I had rode in on earlier that morning.  I was told that he had been over near the pump house.  A cow and a yearling calf were past the pump house on either side of the path, like sentinels, but they were getting too much attention so they moved into the meadow.  I found the parking lot full of visiting gazers and joined them.  After catching up on what was new, I finally got busy and headed back to wait for Oblong.  Jim S. radioed Daisy at 1032, which we sent several visitor toward the meadow so they could watch the eruption.  Oblong erupted at 1110 with many admirers.  I returned to my bike to go park at Castle.  We were in Grand's window, but a group was forming at Tilt's Baby which Lotus Baker was observing.  Both Rift and W. Triplet were in eruption at 1136 (and KC told me there were already erupting at 1126).  The over night Grand had had a longer interval, so I was expecting a shorter interval, but I delayed to visit with some of our Fall Gazers, when Jim S. called Grand at 1151 (T1C).  We admired the distant Grand as Castle kept spitting water at us.  Castle erupted at 1152, and I noticed Uncertain in eruption at 1154.  We were still trying to see a Tilt's Baby when KC radioed Beehive's indicator i.e.  Abandon ship!  We headed to our bikes and the over look as we told visitors where and what would be erupting soon.  I had thought I wouldn't see Beehive this trip, so I was excited to get it, although I really wanted to be closer to it.  Beehive at 1213 was glorious.  It's top was lopped off my the breeze, but the sun shimmered on the many chevrons and its powerful rumble hinted of the incoming storm.  We had made it back to the parking lot and Depression erupted at 1233, with many around me sighing because they had wanted to be closer to it.  I watched a very short (5 maybe, 10 inch tall) Tilt's Baby at 1327 and Aurum at 1330 and thought of heading to Fountain, which we had received a report that it was seen in eruption at 0900.  As I pointed my bike toward the Hams, I realized that Daisy was due.  Pivot!  Off to Daisy for a brief wait.  Daisy at 1349.  The predicted weather was heading in when I once again started to head for my vehicle and remembered that Riverside was due.  Change of plans!  I went to Grotto to put my rain gear on and then went to Riverside.  Riverside at 1414.  I said my farewells and was just passing Daisy's sign, when I realized that Oblong could be due (if it had a short interval), so I returned to Grotto and went straight to Oblong.  Oblong at 1432 with the most powerful, heart beat I had heard in a long time.  Finally, I headed in as Lotus called another Tilt's Baby eruption over the radio.  I headed to the Ham's for a nice grilled cheese sandwich.  After my meal, I did finally drive to the Lower Basin.  Fountain's steam cloud greeted me, so I continued past that area and went to the flat area, and parked facing Fountain.  MA B. had radioed that Fountain started at 1633 and she told me the duration was 29 minutes.  I felt guilty enjoying the eruption from my dry, warm vehicle, because I knew a large group was sitting up there after waiting several hours and the rain was hammering the area with a steady drum beat.  I returned to the Lower Parking Lot to give the weather report.  (Thomas had checked on the computer and it warned of rain until 3 AM turning to snow on Sunday.  Grotto was still erupting as we drove back into the Upper Geyser Basin.  Farewells were said as many headed to West Yellowstone to their lodging and dry clothes.  I was still debating on whether to stay or go home.  The parking lot emptied out.  The rain fell harder.  I sat alone on the front porch of the Ham's dabating.  After several phone calls, I decided to abandon ship.  I called Keith and Lotus to say farewell and said I would check to see if Grotto was still erupting.  I drove out trying to see Grotto.  No steam cloud!  Uh oh!  I returned and drove to the last spot in the Inn's parking lot and looked down basin.  No steam clouds!  I called Tara C. to confirm that I should be able to see Grotto's steam cloud from that spot, and since I could see the hillsides, etc.  Grotto had quit sometime in the last hour.  I radioed the news as I headed home.  Once again I saw the bear between Craig Pass and West Thumb and a vey nice bull elk stopped walking beside the road and drifted into the trees.  The rain continued and got even harder as I went over Sylvan Pass at 1930 as the area was being engulfed in a dark, wet cloak.  I made it home at 11:45 PM, phoned Tara and crawled into bed.
     I hope Giant is behaving and will have a daytime eruption.  Take care and I hope to return for another Fall weekend.  Thanks to all I saw for the very enjoyable weekend, and now it is time to get back to work, lesson plans, and paper work.
Sincerely,  Kitt Barger