[Geysers] Briefly about Giant

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 15:07:40 PDT 2007

Because all of this list's moderators are in Yellowstone, normal posting  are
not being sent out on a regular basis. So who knows when this will go. But
for the record:

Yesterday (Wednesday, 9/5) Grotto ended a marathon somewhere in the  vicinity
of 0700, for a duration of around 17 hours. Not long enough. The  recovery
hot period began at 1413, involved Mastiff to 6 feet  and cone-filling surges in
Giant, had a duration of near 16 minutes... and  resulted in no eruption.

Since then, some hot periods have had durations of 8 to 9 minutes, but
they've been rather weak. For example, today at 1252 was a hot period that  lasted
8m 45s but (I wasn't there but heard it on the radio) never had more than
bubbling in Mastiff and no mention of Cave.

Last night, starting at (I believe) 2325 was the start of a Grotto. Its
duration is unknown, but it might have been one of those in-between durations
(like 5 hours or so). Early, even after a 0615 hot period, Bijou etc. acted
almost as if there had been a true marathon. And as of about 1400, Grotto
Fountain apparently still had not started (that is, 14+ hours after what had to  be a
relatively short Grotto).

In summary, the entire Grotto-Giant complex seems out of sync so that
nothing quite knows what to do.