[Geysers] Giant, Oct 26 - quick clarification

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 01:22:43 PDT 2007

This is a quick addendum to Paul's Giant report.  I wanted to clear up any confusion that may have resulted from my report to the visitor center on Friday afternoon that Giant had possibly erupted in the early morning hours of Oct 26.  When I got to Giant around 1345 on Oct 26, I noticed that the "Giant Geyser" sign was not facing the boardwalk, but rather faced backwards towards Giant.  I asked the visitor center how it had been placed and it was determined that it had moved, so we conjectured that Giant had possibly erupted overnight.  However, as events transpired later in the afternoon, it became clear that the sign had somehow (without the aid of a Giant eruption) rolled backwards from its original position and Giant had NOT yet erupted.

A more complete report will have to wait, but for now here is the timeline:

~1015 Grotto marathon of unknown duration ended (probably 24+ hours)
~1700 Bijou had water (the platform had been completely dead at 1515)
~1830 GIP water level reached "elbow"
~2130 Bijou recoveries were occurring every 10 minutes or so and were very strong

Then

2336 Giant hot period, Feather Satellite on within 15 seconds
2345 Mastiff in full eruption
2347 GIANT, d=87m
2349 Catfish

Interval ~4d11h

The predicted storm never came through Old Faithful and there was soft moonlight on the eruption, buffered by a layer of light clouds.  Kitt Barger and Jake Young enjoyed the eruption with me.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com