[Geysers] Mutnovka geysers

SCOTT BRYAN tsbryan_380 at msn.com
Thu Nov 1 09:11:17 PDT 2007

While playing in Google, mainly seeking some updated information about the status of the Kronotsky Valley of Geysers, I discovered that another place, one I've never previously heard of, is now being promoted (to some extent, by tour companies) as "Kamchatka's 'Little' Geyser Valley." It is the Mutnovka (also Severo-Mutnovka) Geothermal Area, where there is an operating power plant that, it is said, is already producing about 30% of kamchatka's electricity. But it is said that there are geysers there.

The location is about 70 km south of Petropavlovsk, accessible via 150 km of road. It is not the same as Pauzhetsk, which is farther south.

Searching on this, I didn't learn much (geysers are "fewer" and "smaller" than at Kronotsky). I found no photo showing a geyser but now video showed what appeared to be an erupting, muddy feature.

Should anybody out there have more info, especially of course anything concrete about the geysers themselves, I would of course appreciate hearing. Thanks.