[Geysers] GIANT May 24 @ 0532

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Fri May 25 23:01:18 PDT 2007

Here is a summary, based on my notes and Graham Meech's radio calls of the
eruption hot period.  Some of the exact minutes are probably wrong:

Starting in the morning of May 22, Grotto had difficulty erupting.  It
appeard to finish a relatively short (15 hours?) marathon around 0800-0900
and then failed to erupt with Grotto Fountain at 2300.  It did not go
again until 0604 on May 23, for a quiet period of at least 21 hours.
That eruption lasted all of 35 minutes, and the one at 1352 lasted less
than an hour.

The next Grotto was delayed by high water in Spa and activity from South
Grotto Fountain.  It began shortly before 2300 and quit between midnight
and 0030.  Another eruption began soon afterward (0344?) and quit sometime
during Giant two hours later.

Meanwhile, Giant had hourly activity starting with the hot period at 1929
on May 22.  These were mostly weak hot periods with <4 minute durations
and little overflow from Mastiff even if Feather Satellite joined in.
With one exception (1416 May 23) Giant did not have any meaningful
surging.  The only other hot period where Mastiff surged at all came six
hours later, and nine hours before Giant erupted.

But starting with bathtubs at ~0100 and 0152 on May 23, there was
vigorous "depth charging" in Mastiff and wild jetting in Giant between
each event.  Furthermore, Bijou always resumed with powerful steam-roaring
at the end of each event, no matter how weak.  There was clearly an
abundance of energy under the platform.

The eruption hot period began at 0522.  Mastiff surged to some extent
(hidden by the steam of a 20-degree morning) but not nearly enough to
cover India with overflow.  Mastiff dropped shortly after the 6-minute
mark, and Feather+Satellite quit after a duration of 7m20s.  They
restarted strongly within 20 seconds, and Giant began heaving water into
the cone.  This grew in strength over the next two minutes until the
full eruption was unleashed.

Important points:

Aside from the eruption itself, no hot period lasted more than 6 minutes,
only one had a (weak) restart, and Mastiff never surged above 3 feet.

The eruption hot period had limited activity from Mastiff as well.  In
fact, Giant was rather quiet to, up until the surges that initiated the
eruption.

It's nice to thear that Giant has recovered nicely already.  I imagine a
lot of people are hoping its next interval is close to 4d 5h...

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu