[Geysers] Geyser report May 23

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 23 16:03:48 PDT 2007

I really didn't want to leave as early as I did today, but I had some
must-do things in town, must-do today as I am training naturalists until 1700
tomorrow and know I have a van tour on Friday. So other gazers might be having  fun
about now.

The Grotto that I reported as ending around 1000 yesterday must have been a
marathon. After that, nothing happened until fairly late in the afternoon,
after  I'd left. If I understood correctly (and maybe I didn't, actually) the
recovery  hot period was around 1555, had a duration of 6 minutes and was overall
weak.  Thereafter, continuing hot periods were also weak.

The first Grotto event was a solo Grotto Fountain at 2246 (5/22); Michael
said Grotto tried to start with some splashes at 2303 but never really got
going. The next Grotto Fountain was at 0504; Grotto started and lasted 35
minutes. Then there was Grotto Fountain at 0907, Grotto at 0912, and this time  it
had a duration of about 50 minutes. And then, Grotto Fountain at 1349, Grotto
1353, and Rocket major at 1449.

Meanwhile, today Giant was having hot periods about hourly. They were
uniformly weak, with durations between 1m 30s and 4m. Finally, after a bathtub  at
1259, there was we all believe was the strongest hot period since Saturday's
eruption. But it still wasn't great. Duration about 6m 14s, some 3 foot surging
 in Mastiff with initially strong overflow, Feather and Satellite, Rust and
SW  Vents. But here's where the going gets good. At about the 5 minute mark,
Bijou  came on. Mastiff was flat but remained full. Feather and Satellite
continued to  play. Slit and Emerald began splashing. Cave started to bubble up 2 to
4 inches.  Bijou roared. Catfish splashed heavily. Finally after at least a
minute of this,  Mastiff dropped and Feather & Satellite quickly followed...
Four minutes  later, while Giant was undergoing some fairly good surging within
the cone,  Feather tried to restart but never really did.

Moral -- not only from this but from other observations, there is a lot of
energy in that system. An eruption by now or certainly tonight would not
surprise me at all.

Artemisia 0842ns.

Riverside a long interval, 0546 and 1227.

Daisy on the long mode with 0603, 0939, and 1253.

Oblong short then longer, with 0431ie, 0734ns, and 1246.

The one Grand I saw today was at 0918 (T2C).

Penta did it again -- a full water-phase major was 1318ie.

Castle erupted at 0818 major. No minor in several days now.

During a quick run to the car, I caught Aurum at 1142.

Depression was 0727.

Plume was called several times, but those times were scattered through the
day.