[Geysers] Geyser report May 22

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue May 22 15:02:28 PDT 2007

The long-predicted cruddy weather did arrive. Snow began to fall at Old
Faithful around 0600 and managed to accumulate a bit on the boardwalks (and I  had
my first slip-and-fall of the year), and it continued virtually non-stop
until I departed shortly after 1330. Snowed all the way to West and continued
here until after 1500. Forcast says snow tonight, intermittent snow-rain showers
 tomorrow.

Thanks to Graham, Steve, Dave and Michael for much of the  following.

Yesterday, as reported, Grotto ended a marathon in the pre-dawn hours and
had a weak recovery hot period at 0840. As Michael Goldberg later reported,
there was not another hot period until 1255 and it was followed by a series of
weak hot periods through the afternoon.

Now comes the question mark. Grotto started yesterday at 1713 (per Michael)
and was still going at about 2030. This morning we thought the Grotto ie was a
 continuation of that eruption, but maybe not. Graham Meech said he saw some
weak  jetting in Bijou early (I'm not sure when but I guess 0530-ish). Today's
Grotto  lasted until somewhere in the 0930-1000 range. Bijou was totally off
by my  arrival circa 0730. It was still off when I left at 1330. Meanwhile, at
roughly  1030 I found The GIP fully 6 inches below the "elbow", Variable
Spring down 2  inches or so, Marathon Pool quite far, but not extremely down, and
Spa about as  low as I've ever seen it. So -- did Grotto have two long normal
eruptions with a  relatively short interval between them, or was there a
marathon in which Bijou  managed a bit of action well into it? Well, anyway.....

Artemisia 0620ns steam.

Riverside 0932ns.

Daisy 0615, 0926ns, 1231.

Oblong 0603 and 0937.

Grand was 0649 (T1C). Then West Triplet started at 1225, Rift at 1257, and
Grand showed all signs of being "rifted." I was tired of the snow, so so much
for that.

Penta continues to have rather frequent activity, with a full water-phase
major today at 0837.

Castle was 0539. There apparently has not been a minor in several  days.

Lion 1114 initial and 1238.

Aurum 1038.

Depression was 0549

Confining it to (nearly) consecutive eruptions, Plume was 1003, ----, ----,
1133, 1219 and 1304.

Dome continued to be active today.

On the drive out, due to snow and steam it was nigh-onto impossible to see
Fountain from the road, but I _think_ maybe it was in eruption at 1404.

Hoping for better weather...