[Geysers] Question about what backcountry areas are off limits

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri May 18 19:56:21 PDT 2007

Yes, you are correct about certain areas being off limits due to high
visibility.  The current convention is that you must not be in places that are
 visible from the roads, signed as closed, or visible from trails signed as
"stay on trail."  There are too many opportunitites for uninformed people to
follow you and get hurt.

Geyser Creek and other backcountry areas have traditionally been more open.
Use caution, though, and do not do anything that would encourage other
visitors to do something foolish.  If you visit Narcissus, stay in the trees,
enter from the north (back) side, and do NOT wear any bright colors.

I suspect you did not mean to imply that Artist's Paintpots is open-access.  I
know that people jump off on the old, unmaintained (and now nearly impassible)
trail to Geyser Creek.  I believe that the main part of Artist's Paintpots,
though, is signed as stay-on-trail.

Also, avoid backcountry thermal areas after dark.  Hot water is difficult to
see with a flashlight.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu