[Geysers] Geyser report May 16

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 16 15:05:41 PDT 2007

Grotto Fountain started at 1045, Grotto at 1046. Duration is unknown, but
theer had not been a marathon since Monday's Giant eruption.

I saw two hot periods today: 0812ie with Feather and SW only, and 1103 (d =
2m 53s) also with Feather and SW only (a little bit from Rust).

We got one Oblong, at 1044.

Daisy on long-ish mode today: 0929 and 1221. I don't have the time, but the

Grand was 0547E, then again at 1219ie on a very short interval of less than
6 1/2 hours. I was up between the VC and Lodge, but this clearly was late in
the  first burst, as the pause happened not more than a minute before. There
was a  second burst and, I think, a third burst. (Again from the Lodge, the
second  burst died down, I saw nothing for perhaps 20 seconds, then very high
jetting  again.)

Castle was major at 0515E, so so much for that.

Near the start of a Sawmill deep drain last evening, KC and Julie saw one  of
those "mixed phase" eruption by Penta, in which it jets water mixed with
steam but is not the full major eruption. That one had considerable runoff. This
morning at 0841, it was again in mixed phase, this time with Sawmill still
going  but everything else drained to a low level. This one had no runoff but
did form  a pool around the cone.

Lion was ie at 0720, and then again at 0856. At about 1020 it was having
weak roars and was done.

Depression was at 1001. Aurum evidently erupted unseen by us while we were
sitting at Depression.

Plume was 0738, 0831, and 0927.

So given the early Grand, I went out to Fountain only to find the runoff
channels damp and drying fast. Oh, well... The video of Monday's reported
Morning Geyser eruption was obtained by the OFVC, but given that the park-wide
seasonal training was happening at OF today, I still haven't had a chance to see
it. However, from a couple more verbal descriptions, I am increasingly
convinced  that it was Morning's Thief that was seen, not Morning.

And so to home early. Weeds. Always more weeds to deal with.

Scott Bryan

P.S. If there's no geyser report from me tomorrow, it's because I'm already
on notice for a likely van tour.

P.P.S. KC and Julie were leaving today, and I think that leaves me as the
only one here right now.