[Geysers] Brief geyser report May 5

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat May 5 13:01:20 PDT 2007

Well, yesterday's weather forcast came true. Though only a dusting of snow
here in West, there was about 2 inches on the boardwalks at Old Faithful. And
the wind. Whoo! Straight out of the north and very strong. So mostly car
gazing  and only one brief trip down basin.

Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty windy, too, but then some improvement to
high temps in the 50s by Tuesday.

Grotto had been in marathon, certainly the eruption that began at 1307
yesterday. My guess is that it ended in the vicinity of 0500-0600. Thus, Giant's
recovery could happen about right now (1300)... but I happily just had a bowl
of  soup here at home.

I did see Oblong at 0820ie, Plume at 0935.

I watched the geyser at Black Sand for a considerable time this morning.  Let
me note that while I saw it doing nothing yesterday afternoon, Barry Leedy
reports that it was jetting to about 10 feet continuously between 1830 and 1900
 last evening.

This morning it was both on and off for shorter periods than yesterday. All
the eruptions were bursting, usually not more than 3 feet high but a couple of
 times hitting perhaps 8-10 feet. Observations lead me to hypothesize two
things  (I emphasize, hypothesize):

1. It might be that a jetting "major" eruption is followed by an inactive
period. Then a series of bursting minors eventually leads to another jetting
major, these cycles perhaps occupying a few hours.
2. The jetting vent might be different from the bursting vent -- to me, the
bursts seem too wide and lazy to come from a vent that can also jet a steady
stream of 10+ feet for an extended time.

Or not.