[Geysers] Rainbow Springs (plural)

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Wed Mar 14 07:47:26 PDT 2007

Grover and others interested----

These photos are very interesting and not surprising to me.  However, the
correct name for this remote area on Mirror Plateau is Rainbow Springs, and
not the singular version. The entire area is called Rainbow Springs, and
there are no names in the area for individual springs.

Lee Whittlesey

                      snorkology at sysmat
                      rix.net                  To:       geysers at wwc.edu
                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      geysers-bounces at w        Subject:  Re: [Geysers] Yellowstone curiosity
                      wc.edu

                      03/13/2007 02:20
                      AM EST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

Hi all,

I'm attaching some photos of something my father picked up back in the
1960's during field work as a geochemist for Gulf Oil.I'm not sure of the
motives, but apparently they were checking out the composition of the oil
that floats on the surface of Rainbow Spring, and collected samples of it
for study. My father kept a vial of it, and it's pretty interesting stuff.
In warm air, it's a nearly transparent liquid, but get much cooler than
room temperature and it "freezes" into a kind of slush made of crystals of
sulfur and various waxes that precipitate out, mixed with liquid oil.

In the first photo, you see the oil in the liquid state, in the second you
can see the slushy appearance, and the third is a close-up of the crystals
under 20x magnification.

By the way, do not confuse Rainbow Spring with Rainbow Pool---Rainbow
Spring is well off into the backcountry, a two day pack trip as I
recall.Anyway, I bet many of you never realized that Yellowstone had oil.
Don't spread that around :-) ...

                       Grover Schrayer