[Geysers] Giant geyser report June 28

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 15:39:19 PDT 2007

GIANT 1233, June 28, 2007. Mastiff function on marathon recovery, I = 7d  22h
21m, D = 96m. Photo attached.

Yesterday's 0644 Grotto continued nicely, ending this morning sometime
between 0430 (seen on) and 0520 (recently off) -- we used 0500 as a ballpark
figure and so a duration a bit longer than 22 hours. Variable Spring was
overflowing and the GIP was up to the elbow by a bit after 0800, and water,  slight
though it might have been, was seen in Mastiff, Catfish and Giant as  early as
0900, all implying another quick recovery -- which turned out to be  about 7h
20m.

Water began to rise in Mastiff at 1221 (Bill W had predicted a 1221
eruption, but that was yesterday). The water came up quite quickly. Feather was  on at
1222:08, Satellite and the SW Vents at 1222:40. For the next 9 minutes,
Mastiff was somewhat up-and-down, but when up was often 4+ feet high and rather
wide from the start. Mastiff began its eruption at 1231:13. Giant was at
1233:31, so 11m 23s after the start of Feather.

There was little wind, but aside from that this was a very powerful
eruption, very much taller than the 180 feet measured on June 20. Some of the  Mastiff
was well over 50 feet. The initial floods of water moved the Giant and
Danger signs to the cage and even rotated the Mastiff sign.

Fan and Mortar had another decent event cycle this morning around 0800,
which included a continuous Bottom Vent eruption of about 7 minutes; there was
also steam (if not water) in Frying Pan and Back Vent along with some splashing
in Main Vent (not necessarily in that order). But no eruption, and this cycle
 was followed by garbage.

Daisy 0732, 1033, and 1318.

Oblong 0532 and 0941. It had not gone again as of 1420 or so.

Grand 0403E and 1209 (T1Q).

Castle had a major at 0330E.

Lion 1135ie and 1302ie.

By radio, we learned that Great Fountain was at 1242 and Fountain at  1246ie.

Whee.