[Geysers] Giant Geyser Report June 20

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 16:43:48 PDT 2007

GIANT June 20, 2007, at 1412, Mastiff function on marathon recovery, I = 7d
11h 56m, D = 96m. Recovery time from end of Grotto to eruption a short (very
short ! ) ~5h 25m (with which we uniformly agreed was a very nice thing for
the  geysers to do for us on a hot [80+ degree] day.

Grotto started a marathon yesterday at 1744. It was quite short, ending
today at about 0745, so a duration of about 14h. Before 1100 I saw jetting in
back Mastiff, and each time it quit there was jetting in Catfish; also, water
was frequently visible jetting in Giant. At this point I radioed that this
appeared to be a quick, short period recovery. It sure was. The first bit  of
splashing I saw in Bijou was at about 1200.

Mastiff began rising at about 1358. At first it came up to being barely
visible and then sat there for a bit, so we were thinking "bathtub." But then it
rose quickly with strong (1 to 3 foot) boiling. Feather on at 1401, Satellite
very quickly after that. Mastiff immediately boiled variably 1 to 4 feet
high,  and by the 2-minute mark, it was obviously wide, too. Mastiff did have a
flat  pause at about 4 minutes, but it was brief and actually bubbled
throughout. Then  it quickly came back and at this point I was pretty sure we had an
eruption.  By 7 1/2 minutes, Mastiff was hitting 10+ feet, but still just
surging. The bursting, the eruption started at 1410, by my watch 8m 34s after  the
start of the hot period.

And along came Giant. It really didn't think about things too much -- no
protracted series of "come ON" surges. Its eruption started at 1412, 10m 47s
into the hot period. Gorgeous sky and lighting.

Photo of Mastiff about 1 minute into it is attached here. I'll attach a
photo of Giant to a separate e-mail.

Meanwhile... (my notebook fell into some Giant water, and I lost part of
today's page):

Riverside erupted.

Oblong was 0728 and 1300, so a "long" 5h 32m.

Daisy was kind of intermediate today, erupting at 0757, 1103, and  1354.

Artemisia was called at 1220, 25h 12m from yesterday's sighting.

Grand was last night at 23xx (there goes a piece of my notebook!) and today
at 0816 (T2Q) and during Giant at 1506 (I was not watching for the number of
bursts).

Castle had a minor during my quick morning trip the the Lower Basin and I
didn't get the time; it had the major either just before or during Giant.
Somebody called it, but...

Beehive erupted at 1354, without Indicator, so just 7 minutes before the  hot
period. Indeed, Heinrich and Lynn were watching it from near Castle when I
called the rising water.

In the Lower Basin, Great Fountain was 1157 (P=7).

Looking at Fountain, etc. today, you'd never know something odd had  happened
yesterday. All seemed perfectly "normal." Judging by the damp runoff
channels, Fountain probably erupted around 0730. Then as I drove out, it was  1620ie
with Clepsydra off.

A nice day was had by all, especially since several long-time gazers got
their first Giant.