[Geysers] Eruption Height

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Mon Jun 18 20:57:27 PDT 2007

As it turns out, most of us have untrained eyes.

The _Sput_ has an article circa 1989 describing an experiment in
which three geyser gazers measured (with instruments) the height of an
eruption of Grand from three different vantage points.  Their results
disagreed wildly.  That discouraged everyone from trying to measure Grand
for a while.  When the old boardwalks were removed, the surveyed
benchmarks at Grand and other geysers came with them.

There is a tradition as old as the Park itself of guidebooks repeating the
same geyser descriptions and height estimates without question*.  Grand
Geyser is believed to erupt as high as 200 feet because the Hayden survey
estimated so back in 1871.  Well, that and the fact that it's still a
plausibly optimistic figure...

There is only one reliable method I know of to make off-the-cuff height
estimates, which is to know in advance the apparent eruption height
corresponding to a fixed benchmark.  The old visitor center used to
measure Old Faithful relative to a tree in the foreground**.  This worked
because the viewing location was very well standardized.  Similarly, the
horizon behind Steamboat/New Crater Geyser corresponds to an eruption
height of ~25 feet.  There's no reason we couldn't do the same for Grand.
Caveat: since the eruptions are not precisely vertical, it would be best
to do this from a distant vantage point.

Completely unreliable methods include: comparing to a geyser of known
height (i.e. Grand was twice as tall as Riverside) and gauging how long
water droplets hang in the air before returning to earth.

Collectively, I think gazers have are OK at comparing two eruptions of the
same geyser.  We're much worse at deciding if Beehive is typically taller
than Grand and Old Faithful, or some other way around.  And we are
terrible at assigning actual numbers, in part because so few careful
measurements have been taken in recent memory.

For what it's worth, my personal strategy for most geysers over 30 feet is
to take the height that I "would like" the eruption to be, then subtract
20 percent.

Here's how this works in practice:  Let's suppose I am watching Castle
erupt, and it has a rather nice episode of jetting.  I could stretch to
convince myself that it was 75 feet tall.  But with Castle I can also
perform a reality check, using the 12-foot cone as a measuring stick.
Chances are the objective result would come up 20% lower, near 60 feet.

You tell me -- which number sounds better, 60 or 75?

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu

* It's not just geyser gazers.  According to Richard Feynman's memoirs, it
took scientists years to correctly determine the charge of the electron,
because of a collective deference to Sir Robert Millikin's original
measurements.  Which were a bit off.

** If someone could create a measurement scale for Old Faithful eruptions
on the webcam, I'd really appreciate their efforts, and I'd love to know
the eruption height in the attached screenshot.