[Geysers] Eruption Height

John Taliaferro johntalia at starband.net
Mon Jun 18 09:21:27 PDT 2007

Thanks to those gazers who put up with my lame questions during my initiation into earnest gazing on 14-15 June. Everybody has firsts, and mine were marvelous: Grand (twice), Daisy, Castle, Riverside, and Lion, to name the high points. Among the many things my untrained eye had trouble evaluating was the height of any given eruption. For instance, I guestimated Grand's bursts at roughly 100 feet. I was informed that they were at least 150, perhaps 180 feet high. Question: Is there a recognized technique for measuring eruption height without relying on actual instrumentation? How do you guys do it -- or is it best not to try? Thanks. John Taliaferro