[Geysers] Giant hot periods prior to the May 24th eruption

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 13 18:39:31 PDT 2007

Here are the bits that I can add to Graham's hot period record.

Tuesday, May 22

2158 GHP d=~4m, Feather's satellite active but not much Mastiff overflow

2246 Grotto Fountain

2303 Grotto? It had at least a minute of heavy splashing (no overflow,
though) before I hurried back to catch

2309 GMP d=1m30s

By 2310 Grotto was quiet again.  I'm not convinced it ever really started.

2356 Oblong (interval of 5h 02m)

Wednesday, May 23

0008 GHP d=~4m, feather + southwest vernts only

~100 Bathtub (Bijou was off as seen from the roadway -- I was watching a
steam cloud that was probably Old Faithful -- but the platform was not wet
when I returned)

152 Bathtub

243 GHP d=4m moderate overflow but no surging from Mastiff

which brings us to Graham's record.  Some kind of hourly activity occurred
during each of his food breaks, but I apparently was not awake/alert
enough to write down the information.  I think there was a weak hot period
at 1525 and maybe a bathtub at 21xx.

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu