[Geysers] Geyser report June 12

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 16:42:12 PDT 2007

Stop me if you've heard this one before. No, wait -- tell me about it.  Maybe
this was Grotto-Giant Weirdness Mode 42b (some thought might be Mode 43c).
Here's what happened.

Yesterday's Grotto marathon actually ended "early," at about 1500, for a
duration of 24 hours. Per Heinrich, the recovery hot period started at 0148
today. It was strong, lasted 16 minutes, and did NOT produce Giant. We don't  know
what might have happened through the rest of the night, but then:

Giant hot periods at 0700 (d=5m22s), 0807ie (d unknown), 0913  (d=6m00s), and
1005 (d>4m). Then there was a very low "footbath" at 1107, a  bathtub at 1132
and one more (repeat, ONE more) hot period at 1257 (d=5m18s).  All of these
hot periods were rather weak with minimal surging in Mastiff and,  despite the
duration, that at 1005 had only Feather and SW Vents. It seemed to  all of us
(HK, Jim, Mike, Vicky, Alan and myself) that they were either too long  or too
short, especially with the "hourly" intervals.

Now, Grotto Fountain had its first post-marathon eruption at 0700, moments
before the GHP. It had a duration of 20 minutes. Grotto sort of came on at 0716
 but barely, with a total duration less than 2 1/2 minutes.

As expected, the next Grotto Fountain started at 0913 (duration 22 min);
Grotto started at 0924. This Grotto had a duration of 3h 11m, which for its
timing seemed not-right.

And with that, something dramatically changed in the system. Note that the
last GHP was 22 minutes after Grotto quit. Before that, Bijou seemed weak, so
weak that we were thinking marathon well before the 3 hour mark. And after
that  1257 hot period -- everything simply grew weaker and weaker. Nothing else
of  note happened at Giant until 1432, when there was another very low
"footbath."  Then things continued to get still weaker and weaker. By around 1545,
Bijou  was off. Mastiff did nothing at all, and the water level in The GIP was at
least  3 inches below the "elbow."

The entire system acted as if there had been a marathon, even though there
wasn't. Mode 42b.

Anyhow, since I spent the entire day down there, I have few other  times:

Riverside 0612 and 1252.

Daisy 0545ie, 0848, 1217, and 1537.

Oblong was at 0707, 1115 and 1533.

Grand was 0207E and then not until 1142 (T2C).

Castle started a major at 1349.

Lion was 0505 initial and 0624; then 1427 initial and another as I was near
departure around 1600.

And as I was driving by Biscuit Basin, Dee called Artemisia; driving, I
didn't write down the time.