[Geysers] Photography experiment

snorkology at sysmatrix.net snorkology at sysmatrix.net
Wed Jul 25 16:35:25 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Not too long ago I learned from an amateur science website how to do
infrared photography with a digital camera. Using a filter made of two
"Congo Blue" and one "Primary Red" pieces of theater lighting gels,it
gives you a camera that only passes infrared and just a little reddish
light. Putting the camera on the night setting compensates for the dimness
of the image, and with a little auto color bancing on Photoshop, you get a
ghostly and unusually tinted image.I couldn't wait to try this on hot
springs and geysers.

Foliage looks white and translucent in IR, so I wondered what the colored
bacteria in the springs would look like. I tried photos of Morning Glory,
and here's the result (see attachment). The first thing I noticed was how
dark the water looked, like iced tea.Greenish bacteria looked very light,
as expected.The effect is that of a white crater full of tea-like water.

>From an artistic standpoint, it's a nice way to take some unique shots of
the park.

                          Grover Schrayer