[Geysers] 23 and 24 July 2007, more Vent delay (Schwarz)

MaryBeth Schwarz mbschwar at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 11:52:40 PDT 2007

     Yesterday 23 July there were hot periods at Giant around an hour apart
after the recovery hot period at 0831.  The evening window for Grand was
1700-2100 so we went down toward Giant for hot periods between Turbans.
Grand tried to erupt at 1737 and had a Vent delay.  At 2027 there was a
superb pool and lots of overflow and Vent overflowed, but everything dropped
suddenly and we had a second Vent delay (this was on V9).  Castle was at
2036 (major).  Three Turbans later at 2120 Grand (V12/G2Q) just before dark
(I=10h18m) on the second Turban out of the window.

     On 23 July Grotto Fountain was at 1616 and Grotto at 1633 (d<10m).
There was no more from Grotto by the time Grand erupted at 2120 and it was
nearly dark, so many of us went in for the night.  Paul Strasser said that
the good hot period started before midnight and Cave went 2-3' before Giant
started 24 July at 0006 (d=98m);  no Grotto was seen.

     Grand on 24 July was at 0340E and 1048 (T1Q).  Castle had a major at
0935.  Oblong was at 1017.  No Beehive as of 1250.

     Mary Beth