[Geysers] Geyser report July 2

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 15:23:22 PDT 2007

Gad, July already. I started to write a geyser report on 6/30 but then the
power briefly went out, I lost that e-mail and never got back to it. And I had
a  tour yesterday. And I came out early today because it's plain, bloody hot
out  there.

The one item of real note for that day (6/30), though, was that the Giant
Complex underwent an episode in which the water level rose progressively higher
in The GIP while Mastiff experienced one bathtub and a series of footbaths,
repeating every 8 to 120 minutes. That finally ended with a hot period a
little  longer than 5 minutes, after which the water levels and activity returned
to  normal... Do we correctly recall that in April 2006 there was a similar
rise in  The GIP that resulted in the solo Mastiff eruption(s)? Anyway, no such
luck this  time... That morning also saw a Grotto Fountain duration of about 41
minutes;  Grotto weakly splashed 30 minutes into the Grotto Fountain but
didn't have a  real start until the 32 minute mark, and then had a duration of 39
minutes.

To finish off with that, Grotto had a marathon later that day. The recovery
hot period yesterday afternoon was apparently quite weak and around 5 minutes
long.

Today, Grotto started an eruption probably sometime between 0200 and 0300,
and it ended at about 1000. I left the area around 1130 with Variable still 3-4
 inches below overflow and The GIP level well below the "elbow."

In the vicinity of 0800, apparently everybody missed seeing Daisy. As did
everybody sometime before the 1100 prediction, when it was well over with.

The first observed Oblong of the day was at 0957.

Grand was 0203E and then, in spite of eruptions by West Triplet and Rift,  it
went at 0843. What fun! It was a T1C, duration 8m 52s with no thought of a
second burst.

During a deep drain, Penta had an "intermediate-type" eruption at 1005ie,
and Uncertain erupted at 1111.

Castle was 0332E, major.

Lion splashed a little all morning.

Aurum at 0928. Depression at 1020.

Plume was called at 0806, ----, 0943, and 1034.

Some gazers went down valley and got Fountain at 0906, d = 34m.

While enroute out, I encountered Lynn at Pink Cone, where we were treated  to
a short (~19 1/2 hours) interval, at 1236.

Yesterday, on tour, we saw a minor eruption by White Dome. I forgot to ask
if she's seen similar this summer. The play was about full height but the
duration was not longer than 30 seconds, and no other eruption followed within
the next 10-or-so minutes (while we successfully waited for Gemini, at  1019).

Finally, driving in today, looking upstream along Nez Perce Creek there was
a big (really big) steam cloud beyond the trees. I can only presume that it
was  rising from an erupting Morning Mist Geyser (or else there's a significant
new  development back there).