[Geysers] Monteith Picture 1

David Monteith dmonteit at icehouse.net
Mon Jan 22 20:21:10 PST 2007

Well, my last geyser photo was easy.  Yes, it was Hillside Geyser at West
Thumb.  The picture was taken September 24, 1995.  At the time, very little
was known about Hillside.  We knew it was active but had no idea what the
interval was.  In fact there was some speculation that the previous
interval was 22 days.   It took me three full days to get that
picture.  Morning temperatures at Lake hovered around -10F.  But I was
repaid.  Not only did I see Hillside twice, once on the 22nd and again on
the 24th (a double interval of over 50 hours), the next day, September
25th, I was rewarded with my first Giant eruption.  A beautiful and totally
unexpected eruption on a 364 day interval.  If you're wondering, it only
takes one hot period.  None had been seen for months.

Anyway, here's a new geyser picture that may or may not be easy.

Dave