[Geysers] Another geyser

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 20 18:15:47 PST 2007

I am interested that Karen would suggest Waimangu Geyser.  (I have
been keeping an eye open in case anyone slipped a New Zealand geyser
into the mix, but so far no-one has.)

Back to Karen's suggestion.  Certainly the style of eruption mirrors
that of Waimangu but it would have been very dangerous to have
attempted to photograph it from a position as close as the
photographer must have been standing to the geyser basin when he/she
took that image.  Waimangu certainly did produce small shots like
this, but there was always the danger that a many-hundreds of feet
shot would occur.  I have one image a bit like this of Waimangu but
the scale was quite a bit larger.  The definng element that precludes
it being Waimangu is the tree-stump feature in the foreground.  The
whole region around Waimangu was completely devastated by the
Tarawera eruption between fourteen and eighteen years before the
geyser became active, and there could never have been any tree stump
anywhere near it.

There was one feature in New Zealand which this image could possibly
have been and that was Bore 204 at Wairakei in its heyday in the mid
1960s.  The appearance of its eruptions was precisely like what is
depicted in the image presented.  There might even have been a tree
stump, because the crater was close to exotic pine plantations, but
in fact I cannot recall any such stump that close to Bore 204.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz