[Geysers] Answer to "Mystery Geyser 7?"

snorkology at sysmatrix.net snorkology at sysmatrix.net
Thu Jan 18 18:07:08 PST 2007

Hi folks!

Well it appears that my mystery geyser REALLY mystified!

The picture shows an eruption of Graceful Geyser, at the far corner of
Porcelain Basin back in 1981.

For a short time, this was one of the most beautiful geysers in the park.
Going at frequent intervals, (around 45 minute intervals seems to be what
I remember, possibly shorter), it erupted a symmetrical steady stream,
sort of like Plume before the vent blowout in the 70's, or a skinnier
version of Grotto Fountain. Within a short time it began to erupt at an
angle, as shown in the mystery photo. Erosion of the vent was ongoing and
significant, and each eruption threw rocks, which you can see littering
the area near the vent.One summer later, it was erupting, but had come to
resemble all the other blowouts, collapsed craters and splashers, having
lost the nice funnel shaped vent.

Of course even if it did erupt like this now,the hike out to a close view
is illegal and extremely risky. Even with a naturalist's supervision, I
remember stepping on gravel that sank alarmingly under one foot. It
reminds me of the Kaleidoscope area in that regard.

Here's a photo of the original vertical play...

                            Grover Schrayer