[Geysers] Vista enhancements need help

Udo Freund gosastore at qnet.com
Sun Jan 14 20:15:04 PST 2007

Oh, to be able to see the Inn as clearly as in that 1912 photo again.

Undoubtedly the Inn and its parking areas greatly contributed to the
growth of the current forest surrounding them.  The additional moisture
and nutrients from runoff off of the roof and pavement are most
certainly an artificial source that helped those trees germinate and
grow.  I've noticed that today the largest trees are near roof driplines
and next to pavement.  The same can be said for the Great Fountain
parking lot.  I doubt those trees would have grown as fast or perhaps
even at all without manmade influences.  I am in total favor of
restoring the views that have changed because of artificial
environments, both from an historical perspective and to improve the
modern visitor's experience.

Fire safety is also important with regard to the Inn. The homes lost
recently in Malibu showed that 100 foot fire defense perimeters are
woefully insufficient.  The Inn, which has many large trees growing in
its shadows, dodged a bullet in 1988 due to tremendous efforts and
cost.  Next time it may not be so lucky.  Let's hope we don't wait until
it's too late.

I believe it will take a letter writing / comment card campaign to
implement changes.  From what I've read regarding the snowmobile issues,
form letters carry less weight than unique letters.  Please take the
time to write about it in your own words.  I did.

Thanks,
Udo Freund