[Geysers] USGS Photographic Library. -archival and scanning project

Mike O'Brien obrien at rush.aero.org
Thu Jan 4 17:37:39 PST 2007

Carrie Guiles says:

> This site is worth a visit - there are some nice historical geyser photos.

	Boy, she's sure right about that.  Just diving in at
random I came up with this great shot:

http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?ID=ID.%20Jackson,%20W.H.%20%20614&SIZE=medium

	It shows what the site numbers as photo #451, which
I got to by choosing "National Parks" from the front page,
then "Yellowstone", then going at random to page 19, where
this one is the first photo on the page.  It's by William
Henry Jackson, and even this nump (me) has a couple of questions.

	Pearl Geyser?  This doesn't look like any Pearl Geyser
I ever saw.  It's up against a hillside next to a small
ravine.  The text says it's Pearl Geyser in the Norris Basin,
but the photo says it's in the "Red Mtn Basin".  Red
Mountain Basin?  Where the heck is that?

	Frankly, I'm just glad I don't have Lee Whittlesey's
job.  If photos chosen purely at random can lead to such
double confusion, I want no part of it!

Mike O'Brien