[Geysers] Needy Novice

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 15:12:48 PST 2007

Hey John,

  I'm Karen, and I'm working at Faithful this winter.   You won't find many geyser gazers around the basin in winter, it is pretty sparse for them.  My current schedule has me working on the days you'll be in the area.

  Have you already bought a copy of "Geysers of Yellowstone"?  Tons of great information.

  Stop by the Visitor's Center, and they should be able to give you details of what has been reported to them, and results of the downloads of the datalogger at Grand Geyser, as well as predictions.  Your best bet to see the most things erupt, would be to spend a lot of time on Geyser Hill, near Plume and Anemone.  You could ski out to Lone Star Geyser, a couple miles south of Faithful, is it a nice easy ski, and a beautiful geyser that erupts about every 3 hours.

  Have a good trip.

  Karen

John Taliaferro <johntalia at starband.net> wrote:
          Permit me to introduce myself. My name is John Taliaferro. I am an author, living half the year in Austin, Texas, half in Paradise Valley, 40 miles north of YNP. Over the years, I have been an intermittent reader of the Sput and an avid if untutored admirer of the park's geothermal wonders. I have recently finished a book (set in Alaska -- In a Far Country: The True Story of a Mission, a Marriage, a Murder, and the Remarkable Reindeer Rescue of 1898), and at last I have reached a point in my life and career where I am able to devote more attention to my steamy neighbors. I'll be at the Snow Lodge on March 7-8 for some cross-country skiing. I'm eager for any suggestions on particular geysers or gazers I might introduce myself to while there. I've been following the e-mail traffic on this site for the past couple of weeks (especially re: Steamboat) and would like to think that one day I might be able to contribute a worthy observation of my own. Respectfully,

  John Taliaferro
  P.O. Box 9
  Pray, MT 59065
  406-333-4109