[Geysers] Steamboat Geyser

Chase Ellison crellison at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 19:19:15 PST 2007

I was able to go down and spend 3 hours in Norris today. The pictures
I have are identical to Bill Warnock so I wont post them.  Just some
things I noticed.

The North Run off channel was filled with snow and there were two
very large ice cones near the north vent that were there two weeks
ago. Now after reading Ralph Taylors report I'd believe that
steamboat probably had two aborted starts. (silverbullets or otherwise).
Also, Echinus looked about the same as I saw it  few weeks ago a foot
or two below overflow.
Green Dragon sounds to be more active but I was unsure do to the
amount of steam.
I did get lucky and see veteran start a major standing near corporal.
Monarch does not seem to have done anything in quite sometime (I
noted this only because I was asked to check on it for some freak
chance monarch broke Steamboat)
  I did not go into porcelain basin as no one had been to Back basin
in two or three days (or it seemed like it and I had been breaking
trail in knee deep snow drifts all through back basin and was tired
and ready to get back to Mammoth.
On a quick note from mammoth a new spring broke out on the hill side
between devils Thumb and Liberty Cap a week ago. Also, it appears
that Jupiter Terrace is re activating in some sections.

Chase Ellison