[Geysers] Ott--really unknown geysers

Karen Webb caros at aros.net
Thu Feb 15 18:59:57 PST 2007

I usually embarrass myself with these, but this is an area I know fairly
well.  1 is Sprite Pool, which cycles and sometimes has small splashes
and might be more of a periodic hot spring than a geyser (I have heard
some of the rangers call it "Hot Rod Pool" for a sports car that crashed
into it, but I don't know if the story is apocryphal).  Anyway, St Scott
identifies it as Sprite.  2 is Gem Pool, which is just a pool, although
Calthos Geyser is in the background (Scott has some interesting material
about Gem not heating up till Marler sandbagged Calthos).  I will say to
my dying day that when Calthos and nearby Pinto Pool are higher than
usual is when Artemesia slows down and vice versa, but that's just
informal observation.  3 *is* Artemesia, but you can see the cones of
Atomizer in the background.
    The ones that confuse me are the ones farther toward Biscuit Basin
like Hillside and Biscuit Basin.  Does anyone have photos of them?
Karen