[Geysers] Mystery Feature ca. 1888 on E-bay ?

Robert C. Johnson birdboy48 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:45:20 PST 2007

   I suppose I am not the first to mention the fact that all sorts of interesting items related to Yellowstone come up on E-bay.  One can spend some fun time just looking through the listed items.

    I came across a set of magazine pictures from 1888 that include an engraving of a big cone, somewhat like Lone Star, which has a number of embedded old dead trees still sticking out of it.  It was apparently near a road, as there is a stage-coach going by in the background.  Perhaps this is something up near Mammoth, where deposits accumulate quickly, rather than being a geyserite formation ?

    Any idea which feature this could be ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370007900761&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024