[Geysers] Climbing on features

Nancy nancy at highcountryphotography.com
Sat Dec 8 05:06:20 PST 2007

Hello!
I am one of the lucky lurkers on this list but wanted to make a
comment about climbing on thermal features. I've been visiting the
park annually for nearly 20 years. My husband and I are one of those
people who yells at those who step off board walks and have little
respect for what they are experiencing.

In the last few years we have been dismayed to see on many occasions
kayakers at West Thumb getting very close to the shore line for a
"better look." We've seen them lose control and use their paddles to
push off of Fishing Cone and the others because they ran into them
and were then stuck. The concession guides give them this advice! We
have made complaints to NPS about this and have at several times
witnessed the occurance with a park ranger right there to see
everything happen. Their response has always been, "well the guides
know better." But still nothing has been done to protect those
fragile features along the lake.

Will this situation ever get the attention it sorely needs?

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Nancy Dement
For all things Yellowstone, visit our website!
www.ysnp.net
For Yellowstone chat visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yellowstone/