[Geysers] People on Minute Man

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 21:33:22 PST 2007

Dave G wrote, in part:

>>> All of the old time geyser gazers with pictures of themselves off train,
standing on various geysers need to hide the evidence deeper in their attics
because we're holding public executions now.  It's worth noting that the
people pictured on Minute Man were actual National Park Service employees
and didn't even need a permit so they didn't have any written restrictions
on what they could do. <<<<

David, that's  actually my objection.  Quite simply, I expected more of NPS
employees.  The goal of the photos is purely one of scientific data - the
appearance and size of the feature, not something for the photo album back
home of "what I did in Yellowstone."  If their only instructions were "to
GPS locate, photograph, and take a water sample from every single hole in
the ground" then they were given instructions that were clear: to collect
scientific data.  Thus, they should have considered taking intelligent
photos.  In that sense, many of them are awful.

I still have a yard stick and meter stick somewhere, painted in alternate
blacks and whites, that I would place on the ground near features for
photographic work I did in the 80's and early 90's to measure changes in
vents and surrounding ground over several years. This was done with
permission of Rick Hutchinson, who I was VIP'ing for at the time.  You wanna
know how big vent X was in 1986?  Well, there's the meter stick next to it.

I would have never considered having any part of a person in those photos.
Adidas are not data - especially if you don't know if he's wearing size 9's
or 12's.

Yes, I know that off-trail work is necessary to measure off-trail features.
But count the feet around some of these vents!  Good lord.

I have absolutely no objection to NPS employees (and VIPs) downloading data
off trail, and have in fact photographed them doing it.  Quite simply, this
isn't about off-trail work.  It's about unprofessionalism, and occasionally
some behavior that makes us wince.  And to have these in a public forum
makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Besides, if these aren't so bad, why is the Minute Man photo not there any
more?

Paul