[Geysers] cam operation & Beehive question

Greg W ikscx at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 19:15:09 PST 2007

   I am writing this in the hope that whoever controls
the video camera is lurking on this list, and might be
open new ideas.
   There was a Beehive eruption today.
   Yes, it is awesome to see,  simply sitting here,
and I have no shortage of gratitude that it is
available.
    Now for the "however".  Beehive's cone was placed
dead center in the picture.  The peak of the eruption
was well out of view past the upper border, while the
entire lower 50% of the picture was the foreground.
Half of the picture space was wasted on the non event
foreground.
    Additionally the wind was blowing from the left to
the right. The eruptive plume was blowing off to the
right. This caused the left hand half of the picture
to be of no interest either.  All of the visual
subject of interest was thus in the upper right hand
25% of the screen.  The camera framing essentially
wasted 75% of the visual field.
    My personal preference, and suggestion to the
camera operator,  would be to place the geyser at the
upwind side of the picture (in this case the lower
left hand corner), adjust the zoom to encompass the
height of the plume, and fill the screen with that
thing that makes geysers so special . . . . its
eruptive plume,both water and steam

    Having said that I am seeking commentary on that
part of the water plume I did see.   The (estimating
here) first 25% to 30% of the initial full height
eruptive  phase,  the water was emerging in a way I
have never personally witnessed, it was surging and
darting off in multiple vectors (again estimating
here) ranging between five to ten degrees, enough so
that I unconsciously felt alarm that something was
wrong.  As the eruption went on it settled down in to
that nearly fire hose steady single vector I am
accustomed to.  Is this a winter time behavior, or
possibly more recent behavior? (I have not been to the
park for a few years now), or what?

Thanks all
Greg Walljasper