[Geysers] Giant geyser report August 30

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 14:02:59 PDT 2007

GIANT erupted at 1017 this morning and I dedicate this report to Sam
Martinez. I also wish Theresa and Joe all the best.

On tour yesterday I was pretty much out of the loop, but my understanding  is
that the Giant hot periods were all pretty weak. Longer ones lasted 6 to 7
minutes and did include some bubbling in Cave Vent, but there was nothing of
excitement until sometime last evening (I don't have the time). Then there was
a  hot period that led everybody to believe that there would be an eruption.
There  wasn't, but that in turn led some gazers to spend the night at the cage.

Also encouraging was the fact that Grotto (as of this morning) had had five
consecutive short eruptions.

Anyhow, this morning I didn't get to Old Faithful until just before 0800.
The sequence was:

0807, hot period d = 1m 03s

0904, Mastiff bathtub accompanied by zero Feather but a really strong
eruption by the Southwest Vents (called a SW major by Herb).

1008, hot period start. Feather came on well after the SW Vents started,  and
also after Mastiff started overflow. It was quickly joined by Satellite and
Rust. Cave was visibly bubbling within a minute or so. All grew progressively
stronger.
1011, Bijou on in loud steam phase, Mastiff still boiling and overflowing,
all other vents still going.
1013, Cave suddenly erupting to 2 to 4 feet
1015, Mastiff dropped, Cave stopped but although Feather and Satellite
almost quit, they didn't quite do so and then quickly came on strongly; Cave did
not restart, but Posthole, Posthole Satellite and Emerald came on. Only then
did  Giant begin signifcant surges.
1017 GIANT. Interval 5d 04h 49m. Duration ~104 minutes. Tara and I had
nearly identical figures, that Giant truly started 9m 36s into the hot period.
Chart attached.

Grotto Fountain started during Giant, at 1049 and Grotto very quickly
followed at 1050. Grotto Fountain's duration was (for recent times)  extraordinarily
short at less than 12 minutes.

Artemisia 0946ns.

Riverside 1130.

Daisy 0806 and 1036.

Oblong 0018, 0521, 0957.

Grand 1002 (T2--).

The only two Plume times I wrote down (0803 and 0912 gave an interval  of 69
minutes.

Fountain was 0744ie as I drove in.