[Geysers] Geyser report August 23

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 16:25:09 PDT 2007

Jeez, time flies. Lots of people around, lots of geyser action.

today at a time I didn't even write down (about 1045), there was about the
absolutely-crummiest F&M event cycle ever. From first tiny runoff by Bottom
Vent and splashing in Main Vent to River Vent on was maybe 8 minutes. But it WAS
 an event cycle, no question.

Yesterday morning (when I was on a tour), Grotto started at 1020. That was  a
marathon that ended at approximately 2300 last evening. Today's recovery hot
period was at 0637, d ~ 10m, with a Feather restart of 1 1/2m at 0650.

Thereafter, there were hot periods as follows: 0752 (~2m), footbath ~0850,
1007 (3m 48s), 1125 (6m 08s, slight bubbling in Cave), 1224 (2m 05s), 1328 (2m
15s), and 1435 (8m 12s plus restart at 1446 for 3 1/2m). On this last, we
sort  of though we might get an eruption, as Mastiff maintained overflow and
surging  up to about the 7 1/2 minute mark, and Cave got up to 9 inches or so. But
when  Mastiff dropped, Cave did so instantly and Feather etc. died quite
quickly.

Earlier, as is the current "rule," the first Grotto event after yesterday's
marathon was Grotto Fountain at 1152 (d ~ 22m) without Grotto. The next was at
 1425 (d unknown due to Giant hot period) and Grotto at 1437. (Note that the
strong hot period happened as expected, specifically between Grotto Fountain
and  Grotto.)

Methinks Giant is fully ready, so the rest of today and tonight probably
depends entirely on whether or not the 1437 Grotto is, or is not, a  marathon.

Riverside 0717 and 1354 (a long mode interval, as seems to be its current
rule).

Daisy 0721ie, 1029, 1325.

Oblong 0806 and 1144.

Grand is still having fun. I am told that it erupted last evening at 1950,
that being a D9/T2C. Details of this morning are unknown, except that the
eruption was at 0608, giving an interval of 10h 18m. But then it went at 1258,
interval 6h 50m. Nice window!

Castle was 0128E and 1436 major.

Because of the Giant sits, only a little is known about Geyser Hill, but
Beehive's Indicator was seen ie at 1417 and Beehive followed at 1430.

Lion, presumably the initial, was at 1437.

Aurum was called at 1114.

Depression was called at 1403.

I had Plume intervals of 53, 57 and 62 minutes.

On the drive out, I saw the "Tangled Creek Geyser" out beyond White Dome in
full eruption at 1526. And Clepsydra was off at 1532.

Scott Bryan

P.S. If not recorded in the logbook, yesterday while on tour I did catch
Labial at 1045 and Aurum at 1151.