[Geysers] Geyser report August 18

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 15:42:02 PDT 2007

Today's big news is that FAN & MORTAR erupted at 1910 last evening. No  known
gazer was there to witness it -- circa 0730 today it was realized that the
marker was gone -- but in mid-morning the VC received a credible visitor report
 of the eruption. We'll take it as correct, giving an interval of 10d 00h
04m.

Daisy 1054ie.

Grand 0801 (G1C).

Penta steam phase during a deep drain at 1059ie.

Castle 0855 major.

Lion 0821 initial, 0948.

The so-called "Red Dwarf" 0915, 0953 and 1044.

Aurum 1057.

The three Plume intervals I recorded this morning were 51, 66 and 61  minutes.

You'll notice that this is a rather brief report. This morning while  driving
through Firehole Lake Drive, I could positively swear that the closest
spring beyond (southeast of) Tank Spring (The Tank, Ranger Pool) was in eruption
at 0704; however, I admit that could not see actual water in the air due to
rather dense fog and a whole lot of steam. Later, at 1133, its steam seemed to
be "a bit billowy" before dying down. Still later, after Great Fountain, I sat
 watching it for about 45 minutes and saw nothing. I'll be watching it
closely.  This is, I _think_ the feature shown on Bechler's 1872 map with the
apparent  name of "Old Geyser."

Anyhow, Great Fountain was at 1345. Overall it was a puny eruption except
that there was a wonderful blue bubble during (not at the start of) the 3rd
burst.

Some rather strong storms today, and as of 4:15pm, per the Weather Channel,
this area is under a just-issued severe storm warning.